I had been conveniently pushing any holiday plans since my little one’s birth. Of course holidays are not on your agenda for the first three months after the baby is born, there are tons of other things to deal with !!! Once Mahira turned 7 months we started discussing about holidays,Yup life starts getting back on track once the baby is 6 months old :P.There was no need for a lot of research to choose a holiday destination. Our first vacation had to be Goa, the place brings so much joy to me and I really wanted to share that with Mahira. Since this was going to be her first flight we were a little anxious (read really anxious!!), who likes a screaming baby on a flight. We were all geared up and had a lot of props to keep her engaged during the flight like toys, teethers and a number of rhymes on our i pads and phone. Did it work? Sort of but mot much, the idea of sitting in one place for an hour is just not acceptable to her and that’s what made her scream, yes you read it right she did “scream”, but we survived. The next surprise for her was the hotel room for the first half hour she kept staring at all the stuff in the around her. Everything looked different, she was extremely quiet for the rest of the day.We carried a some of her favorite toys, the moment I showed her those she started showing some excitement. Once she familiarized herself to the surroundings the real fun began, she just wouldn’t stay in the room and would want to go out near the sea all the time. She loved the sound of sea and the fresh air around us. She shares the same love for water as her parents :). Goa is going to be our favorite holiday destination i guess and truly truly hope,there’s no bigger joy than sharing your most loved things with the love of your life.
Here is a cheat sheet of what things to carry for the baby for beach holiday:
- Loads of clothes
- Sand play toys: Even if they are too young to play, they love to look at the castles being built
- Mosquito patches
- 2-3 towels
- Swimming costume for the baby
- Swimming diapers
- Baby lotions
- Baby umbrella hat
- Some of the favorite toys
- Baby sunscreen lotion (My personal favorite is Aveeno)
- Body wash and Shampoo for the baby
- Nail Clippers
- Feeding bowls
- Baby food
- Cot Bedding
My little one doesn’t play with toys, as in those toys which I buy for her from these super swanky toy stores!!! Oh wait may be everything is a toy for a 9 month old :). It happens very rarely that the store brought toy is able to hold her attention for more than 10 minutes. She has just started showing interest in “playing” and most of the things she loves playing with are not even toys (Except a couple which i will share in another post). Some of the most loved objects which attract my little one’s attention are:
1. Cap of her milk bottle: Oh how much she loves this one. I can’t understand what attracts her to this,it’s a plain-jane bottle cap after all !!! Doesn’t even have a beautiful color, makes no sound yet its loved 🙂
2. Empty plastic bottles : She just loves these!! so many colors, shapes and labels and easy availability. She loves banging them on the floor, with other objects, on the car window 😛
3. Baby wipes packet: Mostly because of the crinkly sound that the packet makes and bright colors.
4. Sugar free pellet box: Yeah !!! sounds weird but she just loves playing with this one. Compact and light weight, she can hold this in her hand easily and the pellets make a sound, wonder why doesn’t she like any of her rattles so much.
5. Cell Phones and Remote controls: Oh who doesn’t love these,wonder why though !!!! My cell phone is white and the remote control is a boring black. I think she is attracted to them because we use them so often and banging is so much fun!!!
I am sure the list will grow as she starts exploring the home and the world outside!!!!
Broccoli!!! Oh how much I love this vegetable!!! Have been waiting for the little one to turn 8 months so that i can offer her this super food :). Of course its not easy to think of a recipe which the baby likes instantly, I figured it will be easier to combine it with one of her favorite food “cottage cheese”. Here is a very simple recipe which was loved by my daughter.
A couple of fresh broccoli florets
Home made cottage cheese
Steam the broccoli to cook it completely
Grate cottage cheese
Brush the olive oil in a heated pan
Saute onions and garlic in the olive oil
Add broccoli and let it absorb the flavor of onions and garlic
Add the grated cottage cheese
Let it cook for 5 minutes
Grind it in a blender ( This will be pasty and not like a Puree)
You can make it runny by adding some vegetable stock while cooking it
The itsy-bitsy spider
Climbed up the water spout
Down came the rain
And washed the spider out
Out came the sun
And dried up all the rain
And the itsy-bitsy spider
Climbed up the spout again
As soon as my little one started showing interest in sounds and music, the “Itsy bitsy spider” has been one of the most played rhymes in our house (ps: I loveee it !!!!) . She loves looking at the video of this rhyme and gets really excited when the spider is washed out :). I know at seven months she is too young to understand what rains are but I got really excited to show her what real rains look like. Took her out on the terrace and she was lovingly staring at the rains and admiring the birds chirping away. It’s so beautiful to experience the regular everyday things with my little bundle of joy, it feels as if everything is new.
I am among those who calculate how much sleep I can get before going to bed. This number freaked me out every night during the first month after my daughter was born. Of course with time I realized this habit needs to go away for me to feel a little sane. Three of my friends delivered around the same time as me and this used to most frequent discussion other than feeding issues. Each one of us had a different issue as far as sleep is concerned, it took us some time to “accept” that is the new sleep pattern for us :). Though deep down I was hoping for a 5hrs continuous sleep someday. I kept reading that sleep gets better after three months, what happened was from better it got worse :(. My lovely daughter experienced the fourth month sleep regression a little early on and it went on for a good two months. What does that mean hmmmm waking up every 2 hrs, on bad nights every 45 minutes after sleeping for 3 hrs. After doing a lot of research,reading a lot of books and using a lot of props like white noise, calming baths, baby scheduler etc I realized she has her own mind and nothing sort of works for her. “Babies now a days are too assertive” this became my excuse and I gave up on working on this. She is now 7 months old still does not sleep through the night, although the frequency of night waking has reduced to one or two. We have our bad nights and right after experiencing those I decide its time to sleep train my baby, but then every method involves some amount of crying and I am not ready yet. I pick up and cuddle my little one on the first whimper at night, may be I am not allowing her to learn to sleep on her own but who can tell, all I know the moment I pick her up she is quiet this makes me believe this is what she really needed a cuddle , a kiss after all how long is she going to be dependent on me for this!!!!!! Having said that here are a couple of things which worked fo me or gave me some hope as far as sleep is concerned are:
1. Wonder weeks by Dr Frans, according to him sleep disturbances happen whenever your baby is going through a mental leap. Trust me there are lots of them in the first two years of a child’s life. Every time my little one was going through a mental leap, at least I knew when its going to get better 🙂
2. On becoming baby wise by Gary Ezzo, Robert Bucknam, this book emphasized on the importance of putting your baby on a schedule, may work for some but it did’nt work in my case. Although I tried to put my little one on a schedule but her feeding never followed a pattern hence the whole schedule kept falling apart.
1. Swing: We decided to buy a swing for our little one but space was a big constraint,keeping that in mind we decided to buy the Fisher-Price Space Saver Swing and Seat, Rainforest Friends. Best decision ever, the size was perfect has 5 swing levels, soft music and a vibrator to soothe the baby. Did it work???? Heck yeah!!!!!! well not always but a lot of times 🙂
One of the quickest recipes, my little one simply loves this one 🙂
- Cut the apple in small pieces and steam it
- Puree it in a blender
- Take baby oatmeal powder and mix it with apple puree
- Change the consistency by adding breast milk or fomula
Every new mom keeps getting this question so often “ How’s motherhood treating you?” My answer changes every day and is completely dependent on my lovely daughter’s mood !!!! This explains how life changes it’s not about ” me” anymore and I love it !!!!! Of course I have moments when I feel completely lost and frustrated nonetheless even at the cost of sounding clichéd I would like to say one smile on my baby’s face makes it all worth it!!!!